Sunday, November 28, 2010

mountain and motorbike and midget hummingbirds! oh my!

Arrived in Chiang Mai (for the 2nd time!) early Friday morning via bus from Bangkok. Its about a 10 hour journey-- a bumpy, cantankerous ride. However Timo my German travel mate and I were fortunate to land ourselves a cushy bus full of locals rather than farang with ac, blankies and a "ride attendant" providing smiles, snacks, moist towelettes and coffee. Timo worked on the farm in Bang Phra and plans on making it to the Golden Triangle via Chiang Mai & Rai. 5 out of 7 days a week Timo wears a t-shirt with someone sexy on, posed contrapasto- Kate Moss and Jim Morrison and the likes. I give him a hard time for it.

Timo and I parted ways this morning and I rented a motorbike to get out of the city and explore the nearby mountains with the intent of going as deep and far as felt reasonably safe-- fuel and daylight providing. Jon and I also went up this mountain when we were here about 3 weeks ago, but turned around soon after temple Doi Suthep. I stopped for a quick bite to eat near the temple (same place Jon and I went- I liked the familiar comfort!) and had a quick run up the steps to the temple for a bit of exercise. Got some funny looks when I reached the top and turned right around- had my Doi Suthep fix 3 weeks ago though- just in it for the burn folks.

Its cool on the mountain- you actually get to wear a jacket! A welcome cozy after sweating face all the time. I read in the lonely planet about some villages and a national park of sorts beyond Doi Suthep. Onward! Winding roads- hairpin turns. I'm officially a pro at the lean-to-turn. I came upon a place so dropdead gorgeous- so nestled, charming, full of goodies- dare I compare it to my Grandma Naes ppocket. It was a coffee farm run by Chiang Mai dept of agriculture. No more than 10 people around the entire place- hardly any farang. I enjoyed a cup of coffee with entirely too much powdered cream and sugar, biscuits and went for a walk. There were midget hummingbirds- appearing at first glance to be oversized bugs. Butterflies everywhere- bright feathered cocks and irresistably autonomous dogs.

Back on the road- next I came upon a small village. I drove all the way through, hesitant to stop. Maybe because everyone was staring at me. The road turned into pot-holed, a mini-river-runs-through-it, red dirt at the end of the village- thought it best not to take my rented motorbike down that so I turned around and stopped at a hill tribe handicraft shop in the village. Beautiful embroidered crafts- kind and wide Thai faces hoping i'll buys something. Bought two items with friends in mind. Walked to another shop the sun was shining on. The woman there spoke English and asked how I got there. I said motorbike- she said "nueng?" just one? just you? - just me, alone I said and her face said your crazy but I like it.

I asked if I had to return the way I came to get back to Chiang Mai, or if I could continue on the dirt road, down the mountain. She said I could continue on the dirt road- "very bumpy"- she bounced up and down in her seat and laughed. So off I went! It took about an hour to get to the bottom of the mountain and I loved every I'm-going-to-bust-my-motorbike-rental, moment of it. It was about 4pm by the time I made it to the valley. On my way down I passed several groups on proper off-roading bikes, each of us nodding and laughing as we passed by. Several times today I laughed out loud in solitude :)

Check out photos from today- GORGEOUS!

Leaving for Chiang Rai tomorrow.


Looking back on my mountain, after motor decent.


2 comments:

  1. It's funny, Rory and I used to go running and people looked at us like we were insane. Two white people running. I am pretty sure their idea of exercise and a westerners are entirely different. I am so proud of you my little Trail Blazer. Why didn't you take the train to Chiang Mai? It's super cheap! I guess a local buss would be even cheaper though. I miss your face. Glad you are loving it. Moving to Hawaii when you get back? I think I am :)

    ReplyDelete