Tuesday, November 16, 2010

11/14/10- WWOOFing in Bang Phra

First full day at Neil and Sue's farm in Bang Phra. Yesterday I arrived in Bang Phra @ about 3:30pm via a bus from Bangkok- Although refreshing to be in a place where very few people speak english- it was kind of a funny scene trying to find a toilet once off the bus! I gestured every way I could to use the bathroom and got lots of laughs. Squatted down, crossed my legs-- "pee pee" - hah! Now I know how to say toilet in Thai- "hong nam"- or something to that effect. It's good experience again being in a place where you are such an ethnic minority.  Neil picked me up- I a bit weary about his seemingly grumpy disposition.  He's an interesting guy with lots of stories, dreams and an impressive mullet to match. He drives a yellow- sort of "ford fit" looking thing which sticks out just as much as a farm full of foreigners digging and sweating in a more rural Thailand.

In addition to the farm, Neil and Sue own a Thai massage business and school. They live close to the farm. On the farm we wwoofers live with an amazing-gracious-generous Thai family that cooks us three meals a day. They speak little english, which is good for all of us to learn. We cook our meals together- lots of delicious rice and noodles and vegetables and meat. I'm in food heaven. The father- Toom- does labor with us on the farm while the mum- Dhang works at the massage business. Toom has an amazing face- beautiful piercing eyes- very symmetrical- hopefully I'll get a picture up! He's shy and does not speak much but I hear once you get a few beers in him he speaks quite good English. He works really hard and is a great role model.

Sorting the work to be done and how it should be done under Neil's direction is a bit confusing, but I'm perfectly happy and content just to dig and spread fertilizing dung around from the water buffalo and hum Joni Mitchell :) The farm has a real variety plants and is a new farm so not much by way to harvest-more weeding than anything. Banana's, galangal, lemon grass, star fruit, rice, corn, palms, herbs and lots of mystery plants, to name a few.

Smiling more consistently than I have in awhile. Stress free. Started reading The Life of Pi.

No comments:

Post a Comment